Hasselback waffle potatoes have taken TikTok (and the internet) by storm—and how could they not? They are mini crispy hasselback potatoes in dippable fry form.
–>And these are coated in a super simple homemade garlic parmesan sauce for a delicious side that’s naturally gluten-free.
Keep reading for the step by step directions with pictures to make this failproof recipe!
Are you new here? I also have the following posts to help you live gluten-free without the stress!
- How to eat out SAFELY when you’re gluten-free
- How to make ANY recipe gluten-free
- How to TRAVEL gluten-free and still have fun
…get valuable support from me, and gluten-free peers, in my EXCLUSIVE Facebook community “Stress-Free Gluten-Free” by clicking here!
Ready to take back control of your meals and love your gluten free life? Take the 45 second quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
The gluten-free guide below is based on personal experience and research. Always be sure to discuss any medical changes with your doctor for your personal medical needs. Additionally, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My full disclosure isn’t that interesting, but you can find it here.
Why you’ll love hasselback waffle potatoes
You’ll totally fall in love with these accordion style potato fries because:
- The crisscross pattern maximizes the crispiness of these potatoes
- The parmesan garlic sauce is sooo classic and delicious
- Potatoes are an excellent source of potassium, vitamin C, and fiber
Equipment for Parmesan Garlic Accordion Potato Skewers
The key to making these parmesan garlic accordion potatoes with the least fussiness possible is to use the right equipment!
- wooden skewers. Using skewers (like these) is what makes it easy to cut the potatoes in that perfect crisscross shape! Then, once cut, you’ll slide these accordion potatoes into the skewers prior to baking to ensure they keep their shape!
- Silicone basting brush. You’ll use a silicone brush (like this one) to brush on the garlic parm sauce!
- parchment paper lined baking sheet. This keeps it from sticking and makes clean up easy (win win!)
Ingredients for Hasselback Waffle Potatoes
Most of the ingredients to make this crispy potato tiktok trend can be found at your local grocery store, but you’ll find great deals on gluten-free ingredients such as gluten-free spices online at Amazon or Thrive Market.
- Russet potatoes.
- salted butter. Luckily, butter is naturally gluten-free. However, you can make this recipe dairy free or vegan by using vegan butter, this guide has great brand recommendations for vegan & gluten free butter.
- garlic cloves. You could also substitute minced garlic
- black pepper.
- Italian seasoning. note: be sure that all your seasonings are gluten-free. Many seasonings and seasoning blends are produced in a facility with wheat
- grated parmesan. (Make sure you use the finely grated. While freshly grated parmesan is delicious, it won’t incorporate as well and your result won’t be so crispy!) You may also use vegan parmesan for this.
- fresh chopped parsley. (optional: for garnish after baking!)
How to Make Crispy
Hasselback Waffle Potatoes (easy step by step directions)
While preheating your oven, line a sheet pan with parchment and peel your potatoes.
Cut your potatoes into long rectangles.
Place potato between the bamboo skewers to control the depth of the cuts as pictured (so you do not cut completely through the potato—only down to the skewers!)
Cut horizontal slices halfway through on one side.
Flip it over, place between the bamboo skewers again, and cut diagonal slices halfway through (see picture below for how they should look once the “waffle” grid is made!)
Place the potatoes into a cold bowl of water to rinse. This is what helps them get crispy!
Drain the potatoes in a colander and slide on the skewers. Baking them on the skewers helps them keep their shape nicely!
Mix together all the ingredients for the garlic butter sauce (except for the parsley—that’s for garnish!)
Brush top and bottom of skewers with the garlic butter sauce.
Bake for 20 mins. Flip potatoes, brush with more garlic butter sauce, and bake another 20 mins
Remove from oven and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and more parmesan if desired.
Can you Reheat These Waffle Cut Potatoes?
Yes—you can! To keep them crispy while reheating, heat them again in the oven!
Scroll down for the printable recipe and be sure to download the FREE printable gluten-free substitutes guide!
What’s they key to loving your gluten free life? Take this quick quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
“Accordion” Garlic Parmesan Hasselback Waffle Potatoes
- wooden skewers
- basting brush
- parchment lined baking sheet
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup salted butter melted
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning blend (ensure gluten free!)
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped (option for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment and peel potatoes
- Cut potatoes into long rectangles
- Place potato slices between skewers to control the depth of the cuts.
- Cut horizontal slices halfway through on one side.
- Flip it over, place between skewers again, and cut diagonal slices on the other side
- Place potatoes into a bowl of cold water to rinse.
- Meanwhile, mix together all ingredients for garlic parmesan sauce (except for the parsley–reserve for garnish)
- Remove and drain potatoes.
- Slide on the skewers to help keep shape while baking
- Brush both sides of the potatoes with garlic butter sauce and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Halfway through baking, remove from oven, flip over, brush with more sauce, and continue baking.
- After baking, garnish with parsley and more parmesan if desired before serving.
- Step by step preparation images
- equipment and ingredient suggestions
- and more!
Other gluten-free recipe trends that you will love: