This recipe for gluten-free chocolate hazelnut biscotti is a delicious crunchy treat that is perfect with your coffee or tea.
This recipe is so good, and it’s easy to customize the flavors using the suggestions below to have double chocolate or chocolate almond biscotti.
Using dairy-free chocolate chips you have a delicious gluten-free dairy-free treat!
KEEP READING FOR THE RECIPE AND DAIRY-FREE MODIFICATIONS
Are you new here? I also have the following posts to help you live gluten-free without the stress!
- How to eat out SAFELY when you’re gluten-free
- How to make ANY recipe gluten-free
- How to TRAVEL gluten-free and still have fun
…get valuable support from me, and gluten-free peers, in my EXCLUSIVE Facebook community “Stress-Free Gluten-Free” by clicking here!
The gluten-free guide below is based on personal experience and research. Always be sure to discuss any medical changes with your doctor for your personal medical needs. Additionally, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My full disclosure isn’t that interesting, but you can find it here.
Why you’ll love this gluten-free chocolate hazelnut biscotti:
There are so many reasons to love these gourmet biscotti cookies!
- Whether you dunk it or eat it crunchy, biscotti is the perfect crisp treat to have with your coffee or tea such as this homemade calendula tea.
- The chocolate hazelnut combo is ah-mazing!
- It’s perfect for sweetening up your charcuterie board
- It is the perfect make-ahead treat as it keeps for a week or two at room temperature as long as it is in an air-tight container
Equipment for making biscotti
To make this delicious gluten free biscotti you’ll need:
- a whisk
- a flour sifter (I prefer crank sifters like this one)
- mixing bowls
- a bread knife (this makes slicing easier! Try this one.)
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
Ingredients for chocolate hazelnut biscotti
Most of the ingredients to make gluten free biscotti can be found at your local grocery store, but you’ll find great deals on gluten-free ingredients for baking (especially on gluten free flours) online at Amazon or Thrive Market.
- sugar. basic granulated white sugar for this recipe!
- gluten-free flour. This recipe works well with cup for cup/ 1:1 gluten-free flour blends. I use King Arthur gluten-free for all my recipes using all-purpose flour. If you use a different gluten-free flour blend with success, please comment and let me know!
- cocoa powder. Be sure that your cocoa powder is labeled gluten-free. Cocoa is an ingredient I often see warnings for being processed on shared equipment with wheat. I use Anthony’s cocoa because not only is it delicious but it’s certified gluten-free and totally affordable. You can find it on Amazon here.
- Baking soda. Not baking powder. Use baking soda.
- Chocolate chips. There are so many great gf brands, check out my complete guide to gluten free chocolate chips (including dairy free and sugar free options) here!
- Hazelnuts. Unfortunately, nuts are one of those ingredients that are so often come into cross-contact with wheat during processing. Be sure to read labels to ensure that your nuts do not have an allergen warning for wheat or gluten. The brand Daily Nuts and Fruits does have certified gluten-free nuts that are not cross-contacted with gluten. You can find their hazelnuts on Amazon here.
Looking for more recommended gluten-free ingredients to modify your recipes?
Ready to take back control of your meals and love your gluten free life? Take the 45 second quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Do you want a gluten-free sugar-free biscotti?
Simply sub your favorite sweetener for the sugar. When subbing sweeteners in your cooking, even if the package claims a 1:1 substitute, start with less sweetener and adjust to taste. You can always add more, but you can’t take it out once it’s in there.
I often err on the side of ‘less sweet.’ Adding too much sweetener can result in a baked good that’s bitter or gives a cooling effect.
Do you want dairy-free biscotti?
Simply use dairy-free chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life! You can buy them on Amazon here!
Delicious gluten-free biscotti flavor variations:
Double Chocolate Biscotti:
If you want to make a super-chocolatey double chocolate biscotti, replace the hazelnuts in this recipe with extra chocolate chips. For a really pretty result, try white chocolate chips!
Chocolate almond biscotti:
To make chocolate almond biscotti, simply replace the hazelnuts with sliced almonds and your recipe will still taste delicious! I like Fisher’s sliced almonds and they’re gluten-free.
How to make gluten-free chocolate hazelnut biscotti:
First, you’ll need to preheat the oven to 350.
Whisk egg and sugar together in a mixing bowl thoroughly–until it’s pale yellow.
Then, sift flour, cocoa powder and baking soda together.
I know sifting is a pain, but this really will make your recipe turn out much better! A crank sifter like this one makes this so much easier.
Using a spatula, stir dry ingredients into egg mixture until well combined.
note: the dough will be VERY stiff. You can use a stand mixer here if you’d like.
Next, add chocolate chips and nuts.
On a cookie sheet lined with parchment, scoop out dough and give the dough a rectangular shape about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide with spatula and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
note: If it is not forming into shape well, feel free to add 1 more tablespoon of water to the mix
Pull it out of the oven and reduce the oven’s temperature to 300.
Allow the biscotti to cool completely.
Then, slice the biscotti dough at a slight angle into 12 pieces (each piece should be about 1.5 inches wide) and separate on your parchment-lined cookie sheet cut side down.
Wait….why does my biscotti crumble when cutting it?
Most likely your biscotti is crumbling because it has not cooled enough. The other reason could be the knife you are using. A bread knife like this one is the most effective!
Place back into the oven and continue baking for 10-12 minutes.
Let cool on a baking rack and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Did you love this biscotti recipe?
Be sure to pin this recipe to your Gluten-Free Baking Pinterest board using the social sharing buttons so you can access it whenever you’re ready to make it!
Scroll down for the printable recipe, and take the FREE quiz to discover your personalized gluten free plan to claim back your love of food!
What’s they key to loving your gluten free life? Take this quick quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
- flour sifter
- mixing bowls
- baking sheet
- bread knife
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour (also called 1:1 or cup for cup)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts (or nuts of choice, or more chocolate chips)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk egg and sugar in mixing bowl thoroughly until pale yellow (you can use a stand mixer)
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together.
- Using a spatula, stir dry ingredients into egg mixture until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and nuts
- Scoop out dough onto baking sheet and shape the dough into a rectangle about 12 inches long and 4 inches wide.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow the biscotti to cool completely and reduce oven temp to 300F.
- Once cooled, slice the biscotti at a slight angle into about 12 pieces (each piece should be about 1.5 in wide). Separate biscotti on your parchment lined cookie sheet cut side down.
- Place sliced biscotti back into oven and continue to bake 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on baking rack and enjoy!
- baking process images
- equipment and ingredient suggestions
- dairy-free modifications
- custom flavor variations
- baking tips
- and more!