This super simple gluten-free coconut candy recipe is the perfect no-bake recipe for special occasions.
Easy Gluten-Free Coconut Candy Bites Recipe
Not only is this the perfect treat for holidays like Valentine’s Day or Christmas, but it also makes a beautiful homemade gift.
It’s also the perfect make-ahead treat to store for when those sugar cravings hit!
SCROLL DOWN FOR THE RECIPE FOR THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE COCONUT CANDY RECIPE!
Are you new here? I also have the following posts to help you live gluten-free without the stress!
- How to eat out SAFELY when you’re gluten-free
- How to make ANY recipe gluten-free
- How to TRAVEL gluten-free and still have fun
…get valuable support from me, and gluten-free peers, in my EXCLUSIVE Facebook community “Stress-Free Gluten-Free” by clicking here!
The gluten-free guide below is based on personal experience and research. Always be sure to discuss any medical changes with your doctor for your personal medical needs. Additionally, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My full disclosure isn’t that interesting, but you can find it here.
Why you’ll love this recipe for No-Bake Coconut Candy :
- It’s a super easy no-bake recipe that’s great to make with kids!
- You can play around with ingredients to customize them to make this recipe your own (see ingredient suggestions below)
- It stores wonderfully in either the fridge or the freezer making it PERFECT for prepping ahead
- You have control over the ingredients (unlike store-bought truffles that often have hidden malt)
Ready to take back control of your meals and love your gluten free life? Take the 45 second quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
How do you make gluten-free candy at home?
There are so many different recipes for making candy at home, but this powdered sugar candy recipe is the perfect gluten-free no-bake recipe.
Just be sure all your ingredients are gluten-free.
Click here to learn about gluten-free certification and food labeling.
Your no-bake treat will be ready quickly, is the perfect make-ahead recipe, and will store for days in the fridge and a few months in the freezer for a quick treat when you want it!
Gluten-Free Coconut Candy Ingredients
This candy recipe is a delicious coconut candy using sweetened condensed milk as the binding ingredient. The basic ingredients for this gluten-free candy recipe are listed here, but feel free to sub out flavors to customize them! Scroll down for ideas.
- Butter. Be sure it’s softened!
- Powdered Sugar. For a lower sugar content, you could try subbing some powdered erythritol.
- Shredded Coconut. Shredded works better in this recipe than flaked. Be sure to read labels to be sure it’s gluten-free! I use this kind.
- Chopped Walnuts. Not a fan of walnuts? Chopped almonds, pecans, or really any other nut would work great. Be sure to read labels to ensure it’s gluten-free. Try these.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Vanilla Extract. I use Watkins brand. Feel free to try out different extracts for different flavors!
- Chocolate Chips. I like Enjoy Life chocolate chips because they are certified gluten-free.
- Food Coloring. If desired, you can use gluten-free food coloring to tint the coconut and change up the look of your candy.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Customize the ingredients to make it your own:
Try playing around with different kinds of chocolates, nuts, and extract flavors to make your own flavor combinations!
Here’s some fun suggestions:
- Try peppermint extract instead of vanilla, use dark chocolate chips, and crushed peppermint candy instead of nuts for a delicious peppermint chocolate pairing
- Sub in key lime extract, white chocolate, and use chopped macadamia nuts instead of walnuts for a summery twist
- Or use caramel extract instead of vanilla and top with some sea salt to balance the richness of flavor!
Lower the Carb Count:
If you want this candy to have less sugar sub the following ingredients:
- sub regular confectioners’ sugar for sugar-free powdered sugar (such as Swerve brand)
- sub chocolate chips for sugar-free chocolate chips (such as Lily’s brand)
Gluten-Free Coconut Candy Recipe FAQs:
Is all coconut gluten-free?
While coconut itself is gluten-free, not all packaged coconut is due to cross-contact with gluten-containing grains during processing. Be sure to read labels!
I recommend using either Let’s Do Organic or Anthony’s brand shredded coconut (which is more affordable) for gluten-free coconut.
Is sweetened condensed milk gluten-free?
While I’ve never seen a can of sweetened condensed milk with gluten-containing ingredients listed, I typically purchase Eagle brand because they do confirm that their canned sweetened condensed milk is gluten-free according to FDA standards.
Is food coloring gluten-free?
Some food colorings are not gluten-free. It’s also difficult to get many companies to confirm that their colorings are not cross-contacted with gluten.
This is why I really like to use Supernatural brand food dye as it is gluten-free and vegan.
note: if you want to top these with sprinkles, Supernatural also makes super cute gluten-free sprinkles!
How to Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Coconut Candies:
First, mix the ingredients. Using a hand mixer, blend the butter, powdered sugar, salt, and condensed milk until smooth – add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time
Stir in the coconut, walnuts, and vanilla extract until well combined. Cool in bowl, in the freezer until firm.
Second, make the coconut balls. Once firm enough to roll into balls – lightly butter hands to keep from sticking.
Place rolled balls on a parchment paper (or silicone mat) lined cookie sheet and place back into freezer for at least an hour
While cooling, prepare your toppings! This is the perfect time to chop nuts and mix coconut with food coloring.
Once cooled, melt the chocolate coating. Microwave chocolate chips at 30-second intervals until melted, stir until smooth.
Then, coat and garnish! Dip frozen balls into chocolate and immediately sprinkle on additional coconut, walnuts, or other desired garnish.
Return to parchment paper lined cookie sheet and return to freezer until set.
Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
These coconut truffles also store well in an airtight container in a refrigerator or freezer.
Scroll down for the printable recipe, and take the FREE quiz to discover your personalized gluten free plan to claim back your love of food!
What’s they key to loving your gluten free life? Take this quick quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Easy No Bake Gluten-Free Coconut Candy
- hand mixer
- baking sheet
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 1 stick butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups shredded coconut divided; 1/2 cup reserved for garnish
- 2 cups chopped walnuts divided; 1/2 cup reserved for garnish
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- food coloring optional; for tinting coconut
- Using a hand mixer, blend the butter, powdered sugar, salt, and condensed milk until smooth – add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups coconut, 1 1/2 cups walnuts, and vanilla extract until wellcombined
- Cool in bowl, in freezer until firm enough to roll into balls. If sticking, lightly grease hands with butter or cooking spray.
- Place rolled balls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet andplace back into freezer for at least an hour
- Microwave chocolate at 30 second intervals until melted, stiruntil smooth
- Dip frozen balls into chocolate and immediately sprinkle onadditional coconut, walnuts, or other desired garnish
- Return to parchment paper lined cookie sheet and return to freezeruntil set
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve.Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
Did you love this recipe? Be sure to pin it for later to one of your Gluten-Free recipe boards!
Also–please use the social sharing buttons to share it with someone you know will love it!
Here are more easy gluten-free sweets to try!
- Gluten-free apple cobbler in a mug
- Food ideas for a PERFECT holiday party!
- Crockpot brown sugar cinnamon applesauce
- Grain-Free Lemon Mug Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino