Shake n’ Bake is a totally classic American staple for dinner prep. This gluten free shake and bake pork chops recipe is a fantastic replica.
Using pork rinds as breading, this recipe is not only gluten free but top 9 allergen free and also fitting if you follow a low carb or keto diet.
Keep reading for everything you need to know to make these perfect keto shake and bake pork chops including ingredients, step by step instructions (with pictures), or you can use the jump to recipe button below to go right to the printable recipe.
The gluten-free guide below is based on personal experience and research. Always be sure to discuss any medical changes with your doctor for your personal medical needs. Additionally, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My full disclosure isn’t that interesting, but you can find it here.
Take this quick quiz and uncover the secrets to making your gluten-free lifestyle not just manageable, but truly enjoyable with custom recipes and tips!
Why You'll Love These Homemade Gluten Free Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- These pork chops are baked, breaded, and make a simple and easy weeknight dinner!
- Pork is one of the more affordable meats and high in many vitamins and minerals including thiamin, vitamin B6, B12, and zinc!
- These are low carb (so no sugar spike!) plus these gluten free dairy free pork chops are also egg free and nut free! In fact, they are top 9 allergen free.
How can you make Shake n Bake Gluten Free?
There are a number of Shake n Bake copycat recipes circulating the internet.
However, this recipe is a little different from those! In this recipe we are using finely ground pork rinds mixed with classic shake and bake seasonings to get a really crunchy coating.
What can I use for gluten free bread crumbs?
There are lots of gluten free substitutes you can use for gluten free bread crumbs depending on the recipe. This gluten free breaded pork chops recipe uses crushed pork rinds.
Alternatively, you could make your own gluten free bread crumbs by crumbling stale bread or crushing gluten free cereal, crackers, or chips.
You can also purchase gluten free bread crumbs like these.
Are panko crumbs gluten-free?
Traditional panko is made using wheat flour. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, and crosses of these grains. Therefore, regular panko is not gluten free.
However, some companies do make a gluten free version of panko (that is quite tasty). If you want to use gluten free panko, you can find a good one here.
Are pork rinds gluten free?
Yes! Pork rinds, or Chicharronnes, are naturally gluten free. However, you should still check the ingredients label on the bag to ensure that they haven’t come into contact with gluten containing grains during processing.
Ingredients for these Gluten Free Breaded Pork Chops
Most of these ingredients can be found at your local grocery store, but you’ll find great deals on pork rinds and gluten free seasonings at my favorite online retailer–Thrive Market.
To make keto breaded pork chops you’ll need:
- Boneless pork chops. These should be 1 inch thick or thinner
- Olive oil. Alternatively, you could use a high heat cooking oil like avocado oil. This one is my favorite.
- Pork rind crumbs. You have two choices for these. 1) purchase already ground pork rind crumbs like these on Amazon, or 2) you can buy pork rinds like these and grind them yourself.
- Paprika. Spices and dried herbs should be gluten free, but surprisingly, many are processed on equipment with wheat! Be sure your spices are gluten free. I love the Badia brand, you may find them in your local grocery store, but you can also find them on Amazon here.
- Celery salt.
- Garlic powder.
- Onion powder.
Note: This recipe mimics the flavors of traditional Shake and Bake. However, if you want to change up the flavor profile (and make the recipe even EASIER to prepare), you can purchase already seasoned/flavored pork rinds and grind them up as is.
My favorite choices for this would be the 4505 Meats pork rinds or Epic pork rinds.
4505 Meats Flavored Pork Rinds
The pork rinds by 4505 Meats come in a variety of fun flavors like Jalapeno Cheddar or Chili & Salt.
Purchase 4505 Meats Chicharrones at Thrive Market here.
Or, snag 4505 Meats Chicharrones on Amazon here.
Epic Pork Rinds
Another great option for gluten free flavored pork rinds is the Epic brand. You can get these in Texas BBQ flavor or Chili Lime.
Purchase EPIC pork rinds at Thrive Market here.
Or, snag EPIC pork rinds on Amazon here.
Gluten free shake and bake recipe - step-by-step!
The first step to making these easy gluten free dairy free pork chops is to preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Then, prepare your equipment and ingredients.
If your pork rinds are not already ground, grind them in a food processor or crush by hand until they are a fine crumb.
Also, prepare a baking sheet by placing parchment over it. For a great crunch, also place a wire baking rack over the baking sheet.
Next, take your finely ground pork rinds and mix with all the seasonings.
Then, brush each pork chop with the olive oil. Make sure you get the top, bottom, and around the sides. This is what will ensure the “breading” sticks.
Now you can dip the pork chops into the seasoning mixture, being sure to coat all sides evenly.
Place the pork chops onto a parchment lined baking sheet or a baking rack. Be sure that they are spaced apart and not touching.
Bake for 10 minutes. Then, removing the baking tray, flip each pork chop over and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Your pork chops are done when they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
Let rest for a few minutes and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions about these Keto shake and bake pork chops
Do I need egg for shake and bake?
While many breaded pork chop recipes do use egg, this recipe does not! We use olive oil or avocado oil to ensure the coating sticks.
How do I keep my pork chop from getting dry?
Despite pork having the reputation of being a fatty meat, pork chops are lean. So be careful not to over cook! If your oven runs hot, be sure to monitor the temperature of the pork while cooking and remove from the oven promptly when the internal temperature is 145 degrees F.
What do I eat with these crispy pork chops?
These would taste absolutely amazing dipped in the best barbecue sauce or gf steak sauce.
Keep reading for the printable recipe
What's they key to loving your gluten free life? Get your personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Gluten Free Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- 6 boneless pork chops 1 inch or thinner
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cup crushed pork rinds fine crumbs
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ⅛ teaspoon oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Crush your pork rinds into fine crumbs (using a food processor or by hand)
- Mix the pork rind crumbs and all the seasonings in a mixing bowl and combine well.
- Brush the pork chops with olive oil on both sides.
- Dip the pork chops into the seasoning mixture and coat all sides evenly.
- Place the pork chops onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Optional-put on a raised baking rack over the baking sheet for extra crispy pork chops!
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip over, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes until cooked through to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- ingredient and equipment suggestions & substitutions,
- tips for troubleshooting the recipe, and
- frequently asked questions
Did you love this gluten free shake n bake pork chops recipe?
If so, be sure to share it on social media or pin it to Pinterest using the social sharing buttons.