This gluten-free slow cooker cabbage soup is a simple and easy healthy recipe that is packed with veggies, dairy-free, and can be customized to be vegan, paleo, or keto.
Are you as rushed to get dinner on the table each week as my family is?
We rely HEAVILY on our slow cooker to ensure that a healthy dinner is provided without the stress of cooking at the end of an exhausting day.
This recipe is one that we make regularly, and customize depending on our nutritional goals at the time. It’s easily converted to a low carb cabbage soup or a vegan cabbage soup using the tips below.
Be sure to add this super-simple recipe to your weekly menu, and keep reading for the recipe!
keep reading for the recipe for gluten-free slow cooker cabbage soup
Are you new here? I also have the following posts to help you live gluten-free without the stress!
- How to eat out SAFELY when you’re gluten-free
- How to make ANY recipe gluten-free
- How to TRAVEL gluten-free and still have fun
…get valuable support from me, and gluten-free peers, in my EXCLUSIVE Facebook community “Stress-Free Gluten-Free” by clicking here!
The gluten-free guide below is based on personal experience and research. Always be sure to discuss any medical changes with your doctor for your personal medical needs. Additionally, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My full disclosure isn’t that interesting, but you can find it here.
Ready to take back control of your meals and love your gluten free life? Take the 45 second quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Why You’ll Love this Crockpot Cabbage Soup Recipe:
- This cabbage soup is super affordable–less than $10 for a whole crockpot of nutritious soup!
- The cabbage in this recipe packs a punch of nutrition being high in vitamins C and K, plus containing lots of fiber.
- This recipe is as simple as dump and go–let the slow cooker do all the hard work!
Easy Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup Diet Recipe Variations:
Vegan Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
The base recipe does use hamburger and chicken broth, but if you’re vegetarian or vegan, feel free to leave out the meat and use vegetable broth! It’ll still taste great. If you need to add some protein, sub some beans—I’ve even done this when extra pinched for time, and the family still loves it.
Paleo, Whole 30 or Keto Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
If wanting to keep this recipe suitable for either paleo, Whole 30, keto, or suitable as an S for the Trim Healthy Mama plan, use cauliflower rice instead of regular rice. The recipe below gives you the substitution ratio.
This is typically how I make my soup as it pumps even MORE veggies into my kids. Honestly—you won’t miss the rice!
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
This slow cooker cabbage roll soup couldn’t be easier to prep and get cooking! All these ingredients can be found at your local grocery store, but you’ll find great deals on spices, organic broth, and organic canned tomatoes at Thrive Market.
To make this gluten-free crock pot cabbage soup you’ll need:
- ground beef (leave out for vegan cabbage soup option or sub with 2 cans of white beans)
- white onion
- green cabbage (chopped into 1 in. pieces)
- chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegan option. I like bonafied bone broth but you could also use either chicken or vegetable gluten-free bouillon)
- canned diced tomatoes (any brand works, I like Jovial because it doesn’t contain added sugar)
- canned tomato sauce (again, I like brands that don’t contain added sugar. Check out the best gluten free tomato sauce brands here.)
- rice + water (or cauliflower rice)
- minced garlic
- dried parsley
Is Cabbage Gluten Free?
Yes, cabbage is a vegetable and all vegetables are gluten free. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, and often oats as they are cross contacted with gluten.
Tools Needed for Crock Pot Cabbage Soup
Beyond your chopping tools, can opener, and cutting board, all you need is a skillet and crock pot.
I love cast iron for cooking pretty much anything (except for eggs).
However, if you’re just transitioning to a gluten-free diet, cast iron is one of the kitchen tools that nearly impossible to clean of gluten. You’ll need a designated cast-iron pan for gluten-free cooking!
You’ll also need a slow cooker. I love having a slow cooker with a timer—and they are so affordable! You can also use an Instant Pot or the Ninja Foodie as a slow cooker, so an all-in-one appliance may be a really great choice for your family (and a space saver!)
Can this cabbage soup be made without a crock pot?
Sure—just cook it up in a dutch oven until the cabbage, onions, and rice are tender!
How to Make Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
Step 1: Brown the ground beef in a skillet
- If making the vegan version, simply skip this step!
Step 2: Add all ingredients to your slow cooker
Step 3: Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours
- Since the ground beef has already been browned, this really only needs to cook until all the veggies are tender and the flavors meld together.
Hope you Loved this Recipe for Crockpot Cabbage Soup with Hamburger!
If so, be sure to pin this super easy recipe to your Gluten Free Soup, Crock Pot Recipes, or Easy Weeknight Dinners Pinterest board so you can access it quick and easy whenever you’re ready to make it!
Scroll down for the printable recipe, and take the FREE quiz to discover your personalized gluten free plan to claim back your love of food!
What’s they key to loving your gluten free life? Take this quick quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Easy Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
easy healthy recipe that is packed with veggies, dairy-free, and can be
customized to be vegan, paleo, or keto.
- slow cooker
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small white onion
- 4 cups green cabbage chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup rice + 1 cup water or 1 10 oz bag cauliflower rice
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Brown the ground beef in the skillet, drain the fat
- Add the ground beef and all other ingredients into the slow cooker (if using rice, be sure that it is completely submerged under the broth so it can cook)
- Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours, or low heat for 6-8 hours until all the veggies are tender.
Looking for more easy gluten-free recipes?
Here are more recipes you will LOVE:
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili with Green Chilies
- The EASIEST Steak Marinade (soy free–no added sugar)
- 10 Minute Chicken Fried Rice
- Low Carb Gluten free Moussaka Recipe
- Ultimate list of gluten-free lunch ideas for kids