Fresh baked soft pretzels are one of those classic American treats–but since making the switch to a gluten free diet I’ve struggled to find good gluten free soft pretzels regularly available.
So what do we do?
We make them ourselves (with a super easy recipe).
This easy recipe for homemade gluten free soft pretzels only needs 5 ingredients and no yeast (which means no need for advance planning!)
Keep reading for the step by step directions and tips or use the jump to recipe button below to go straight to the printable recipe.
Are you new here? I also have the following posts to help you live gluten-free without the stress!
- How to eat out SAFELY when you’re gluten-free
- How to make ANY recipe gluten-free
- How to TRAVEL gluten-free and still have fun
…get valuable support from me, and gluten-free peers, in my EXCLUSIVE Facebook community “Stress-Free Gluten-Free” by clicking here!
The gluten-free guide below is based on personal experience and research. Always be sure to discuss any medical changes with your doctor for your personal medical needs. Additionally, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My full disclosure isn’t that interesting, but you can find it here.
Ready to take back control of your meals and love your gluten free life? Take the 45 second quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Why you’ll love this gluten free soft pretzels easy recipe!
- This is actually a really easy baking recipe with only 5 ingredients!
- These pretzels are yeast free, so if you cannot tolerate yeast, this is a gluten free baking recipe just for you.
- This recipe makes a soft and chewy pretzel–will totally bring back mall or ballpark vibes!
Is there gluten in soft pretzels?
Most soft pretzels are made using all purpose flour which contains wheat.
Gluten is a protein in wheat, barley, rye, and crosses of these grains, so soft pretzels typically are not gluten free.
However, this recipe uses a gluten free all purpose flour made without gluten-containing grains resulting in safe gluten free soft pretzels that those with Celiac disease or gluten intolerance can enjoy!
Can you buy gluten free soft pretzels frozen?
If you’re wondering whether you can buy gluten free soft pretzels, the answer is yes! There are a few gluten free bakeries that prepare soft pretzels in store.
One of my local bakeries, Birch Baked Gluten-Free, prepares them as a special.
Some of these bakeries ship, so you could special order them from a local bakery.
However, I haven’t seen any frozen soft pretzels in my local stores or health food markets, nor can you find them at popular online retailers like Amazon or Thrive Market.
That said, you can find a gluten free pretzel baking mix from Mom’s Place that makes a truly authentic soft pretzel.
Or you can give the recipe below a try 🙂
Ingredients you’ll need:
Making these delicious homemade gluten free soft pretzels only requires five ingredients. You may find these at your local grocery store, but you’ll find great deals on gluten free baking essentials at Thrive Market.
To make these gf pretzels, you’ll need:
- all purpose gluten-free flour with xanthan gum.
- baking powder.
- Plain fat free Greek Yogurt, drained of any excess. I let mine drain for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Olive oil.
note: while most yogurts are gluten free, not all are! I wrote this guide to the best gluten free yogurt brands here.
What flours to use for gluten-free soft pretzels?
It usually takes blending a few different gluten free flours together to replicate the structure and texture of wheat flour, so using an all purpose blend with xanthan gum added makes it much easier!
I typically use the gluten free blend by King Arthur flour for all of my gluten free baking.
While you may find this in your local store, I find I get it much cheaper on Amazon!
You can find it on Amazon here.
How to make easy gluten free soft pretzels
To bake these homemade pretzels you first need to strain your Greek yogurt. I do this by placing my yogurt into a mesh strainer on cheese cloth. If you do not have cheesecloth, you can use a thin tea towel or paper towels. You want to remove quite a bit of the water, it should sit for around an hour in the fridge before you’re ready to bake!
When it is drained, preheat the oven and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients until well distributed.
Then, add the drained yogurt and mix well. Once incorporated, form a ball and knead it a few times ensuring everything holds together.
If the mixture is too dry and crumbly, add water a tablespoon at a time while kneading. The dough should be firm, but pliable.
Divide the dough into 5 equal pieces, then roll each piece into a ball.
Roll each ball into strips, about 11-12 inches long.
Twist the dough to form a pretzel shape and place on the parchment.
Generously brush each pretzel with olive oil and sprinkle with additional salt.
Bake on the middle rack of the oven until golden and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions about the Best Homemade Gluten Free Soft Pretzels
What to serve with this gluten-free soft pretzel recipe?
This pretzel recipe is pretty versatile. Instead of topping with salt, you could sprinkle some garlic salt or other seasoning before baking, or bake them plain and while they’re still hot brush them with butter and sprinkle on some cinnamon and sugar.
How long do gluten free soft pretzels last?
These pretzels will taste best the day you make them.
You could store them for the next day or two in an airtight container and reheat them before eating, but they won’t be as tasty.
What’s they key to loving your gluten free life? Take this quick quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Gluten Free Soft Pretzels
- 1 baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour (with xanthan gum)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup fat free Greek Yogurt drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- coarse salt (for topping)
- Strain your yogurt for around an hour to remove excess liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to a large bowl and until ingredients are distributed. Add the drained yogurt, and combine well.
- Roll dough into a ball and knead about 10 times.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal pieces, then roll each piece into a ball.
- Roll each ball into strips, about a foot long, and form a pretzel shape.
- Generously brush pretzels with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven until golden brown, about 22 minutes.
- ingredient and equipment suggestions & substitutions,
- troubleshooting tips, and
- frequently asked questions
Did you love this post about how to make your own soft pretzels 100% gluten free?
If so, be sure to share it on your social media or pin it to Pinterest using the social sharing buttons below.