This Gluten Free Vegan Lemon Orzo Soup recipe is one of the best soups to make when you’re craving something deliciously comforting. Made with chickpeas for protein and a gluten free orzo simmered into a flavorful broth and filled with veggies, this is one recipe you do not want to miss! Be sure to keep this lemony recipe around when you’re feeling a bit under the weather, or for when you just want a soup with simple yet delicious flavors.
Keep reading for the full recipe, ingredient suggestions, and troubleshooting tips or use the jump to recipe button below to go straight to the recipe!
Are you new here? I also have the following posts to help you live gluten-free without the stress!
- How to eat out SAFELY when you’re gluten-free
- How to make ANY recipe gluten-free
- How to TRAVEL gluten-free and still have fun
…get valuable support from me, and gluten-free peers, in my EXCLUSIVE Facebook community “Stress-Free Gluten-Free” by clicking here!
The gluten-free guide below is based on personal experience and research. Always be sure to discuss any medical changes with your doctor for your personal medical needs. Additionally, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My full disclosure isn’t that interesting, but you can find it here.
Ready to take back control of your meals and love your gluten free life? Take the 45 second quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!
Why you’ll love this Greek lemon orzo soup:
- You can still have the flavors of this classic Greek soup on a gluten free and vegan diet, and even get a protein punch from the chickpeas!
- This gluten free orzo nicely retains its texture for an easy and flavorful vegetable orzo soup recipe.
- The lemony chickpea soup is so fresh and flavorful resulting in a light and bright soup that is totally refreshing!
Is orzo gluten free?
Traditional orzo is a pasta made with wheat flour. Many recipes substitute rice for orzo (and you can in this recipe too), but I don’t find it’s a close enough substitute to really satisfy!
Other recipes may sub cauliflower rice, which does add more vegetables, but again, in this recipe we’re going for a more traditional Greek orzo soup flavor.
In this vegetarian orzo soup recipe, we use an actual gluten-free orzo.
I used Jovial’s Cassava orzo, which actually makes this Greek orzo soup grain free!
You can find Jovial’s Cassava orzo at Thrive Market here or Amazon here, but I haven’t seen it in my local grocery stores yet.
Learn more about gluten free orzo substitutes in this post.
Ingredients for gluten free orzo soup:
It only takes a few ingredients to make this soup with orzo and chickpeas–some which you likely already have on hand!
You should be able to find many of these ingredients at your local grocery store (use the instacart button in the recipe card to add them to your grocery delivery easily), but you can also find great deals on some of the specialty ingredients like gluten free orzo online through Thrive Market.
Learn more about why I love Thrive Market here, or you can snag a promotional link to receive up to 25% off your first order plus a free gift by clicking here!
To make this vegetable soup with orzo you’ll need:
- Diced onion
- Diced carrots
- Minced garlic
- Dried oregano
- Gluten Free Vegetable Broth. These are my favorite gluten free broth brands (or you can sub water and gluten-free bouillon)
- Gluten-free orzo (Cassava orzo– This is the one I use)
- Canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Lemons, juiced
- Fresh baby spinach leaves
How to make vegan orzo soup:
Making this soup is so simple and it takes less than 30 minutes!
First, saute onion and carrot until onions are translucent. You can use cooking spray or 1 tbsp of olive oil to do this, or a few tbsp of water if you are oil-free.
This only takes about 5 minutes.
Next you’ll add the garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper and saute for another minute until aromatic.
Then you’ll add the chickpeas and vegetable broth, heating until it comes to a boil.
Once it starts to boil, stir in the orzo and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let it simmer until your orzo is done.
Finally, take the soup off the heat and stir in the lemon juice and spinach until the spinach wilts. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Make it Creamy
This step is optional, but if you want a creamy vegan lemon orzo soup recipe, do this! While waiting for the soup to boil, take out about 2 cups of the soup and blend with an immersion blender for a few seconds until blended smooth, and then stir back into the main soup pot.
What to serve with chickpea lemon soup
This soup really has everything you need in it for a perfectly balanced meal: plant based protein, complex carbohydrates, and vegetables.
But if you want to add something to it, I recommend a green salad or an allergy friendly baguette like these from BFree.
Shop BFree Allergen Free Bread on Amazon here.
How do you store chickpea orzo soup?
This lemon orzo soup can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container and reheated the next day. HOWEVER, the texture will change. The cassava orzo will continue to absorb the liquid from the soup, so you will definitely need to add more liquid to reheat.
Personally, I think this soup should be eaten the same day for best results.
If you won’t eat the whole recipe, halve it.
Keep reading for the printable recipe
Gluten Free Vegan Lemon Orzo Soup
- 1 large pot
- 1 immersion blender optional
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or water + bouillon)
- 1 box gluten free orzo
- 30 oz canned chickpeas (2-15oz cans) drained & rinsed
- 2 lemons juiced
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and carrot in a few tablespoons of water (or 1 tbsp of olive oil if not oil-free) on medium high heat until onions are translucent. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the chickpeas and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- If you want a creamier soup, while waiting for the soup to boil, take out about 2 cups of the soup and blend with an immersion blender for a few seconds until blended smooth, and then stir back into the main soup pot.
- Once boiling, stir in the orzo and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 14 minutes, or until your orzo is done.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and spinach until the spinach wilts. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- ingredient and equipment suggestions & substitutions,
- troubleshooting tips, and
- frequently asked questions
Did you love this Vegan Lemon Orzo Soup Recipe?
If so, be sure to share it on social media or pin it to Pinterest using the social sharing buttons below.
Other Gluten Free Recipes You Will Love:
- Gluten Free Moussaka
- Easy Gluten Free Tomato Soup
- Summer Vegetable Risotto
- Best Vegetarian Gluten Free Dinner Ideas
What’s they key to loving your gluten free life? Take this quick quiz to get a personalized plan with the guide you need to thrive!